This episode explores the connection between the martial arts of the great Song generals’ tradition and Chinese theatre, which was emerged during the height of the Yuan Dynasty.
Tag: Xing Yi
We pick up our series on Xing Yi with a new dynasty, the Yuan, examining the social changes that Mongol rule brought to China and their implications for the martial arts through the lens of the artwork of the period.
Our sister podcast, Woven Energy, has just released a new episode that I think Heretics listeners would enjoy because it has lots of fascinating insights into religions and spirit dance. In this episode you’ll learn about:
- Yan Yi – a spirit dance tradition from Malaysia which is taught alongside the martial art of Xing Yi.
- What the terms Qi, Shen, Xin and Yi mean in Damon’s martial teaching and how they are expressed in Yan Yi.
- How to tell real from fake spirit dance.
- The Tanna island in the Pacific and the strange John Frum religious tradition that evolved there.
- What Cargo Cults are and what the Prince Philip Movement is.